Software and Web Application Developer (FT)
Software and Web Application Developer
Do you enjoy coding web applications? Do you have the skills to improve on a highly attractive climate tool to inform a wide audience? Are you keen to contribute to a more sustainable future by improving the adoption of weather and climate solutions for the energy industry?
The World Energy & Meteorology Council (WEMC, https://www.wemcouncil.org) are seeking a self-motivated and dynamic professional, to assist with the fast-growing web application development requirements of the Education Climate and Energy demonstrator developed under a Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S) (https://c3s-edu.wemcouncil.org).
To succeed, you will have experience in front-end web development, and a strong interest for both technical implementation and design aesthetics. You will work closely with our team including a senior designer, data engineer and software developer.
- Developing the front end for applications and prototypes of updated and/or new climate service tools and products;
- Actively contributing to UI/UX
- Building reusable and robust code for future use
- Collaborating with other team members and stakeholders
- Maintaining, updating the organisation website(s)
Skills (Selection criteria)
- Proficient understanding of WordPress and web markup, including HTML5, CSS3
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them
- Experience of using code versioning tools, such as Git.
- Self-motivated and capable of working independently
- [Desirable] Experience in handling large data files, both retrieving them from online archives and processing them using software like Python, R, CDO, etc.
The Software and Web Application Developer is offered as a full-time position, initially as a one-year contract, which can be renewed upon satisfactory performance. The normal place of work is Norwich (UK), for which a work permit to work in the UK is required. However, teleworking may also be considered. The successful applicant will be offered an attractive salary package, dependent on qualifications, experience and track record. This position offers a varied and interesting workload, in a highly stimulating environment. The position is available now and the search will continue until the position is filled.
The WEMC is an organisation devoted to promoting and enhancing the interaction between the energy industry and the weather, climate and broader environmental sciences community. Established in 2015 its primary goal is to enable improved sustainability, resilience and efficiency of energy systems under ever changing weather and climate.
Additional information about WEMC is available at: https://www.wemcouncil.org
For further information about this role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, please email your CV along with a cover letter clearly explaining how you meet the selection criteria, to email@example.com. Previous applicants are welcome to re-apply. Applications received before Friday 9 October 2020 will receive full consideration. However, if the right candidate is not found by this time, the position will remain open until filled.